atom feed25 messages in org.apache.incubator.generalRE: Licence headers in template files
FromSent OnAttachments
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 1:58 am
Christian GrobmeierFeb 6, 2012 2:07 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 2:44 am
Franklin, Matthew B.Feb 6, 2012 5:36 am
ant elderFeb 6, 2012 5:44 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 6:16 am
ant elderFeb 6, 2012 6:30 am
Jukka ZittingFeb 6, 2012 6:39 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 6:53 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 6:56 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 7:03 am
sebbFeb 6, 2012 7:20 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 7:28 am
sebbFeb 6, 2012 8:06 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 8:20 am
ant elderFeb 6, 2012 8:29 am
sebbFeb 6, 2012 8:40 am
Greg SteinFeb 6, 2012 9:25 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 10:18 am
Craig L RussellFeb 6, 2012 10:30 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 11:12 am
Greg SteinFeb 6, 2012 11:38 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 11:41 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 12:23 pm
sebbFeb 6, 2012 12:33 pm
Subject:RE: Licence headers in template files
From:Franklin, Matthew B. (mfra@mitre.org)
Date:Feb 6, 2012 5:36:57 am
List:org.apache.incubator.general

I am sure you know this (especially since you first pointed me at this page),
but the release FAQ [1] makes it sound like you need the header, if you assume
your templates are source:

Which Files Must Contain An ASF License Text? Every source file must contain the appropriate ASF License text.

I am no lawyer, so I will defer to someone who has more experience than me to
help you determine whether your snippets count as source.

Just a thought that might solve your problem in a different way: if you define
some convention in Wookie to denote text to be stripped during processing, you
might find it useful for reasons other than just the license. This could be
especially true if you expect users of the system to be defining their own
templates. You could strip comments, examples, licenses, etc all at once.

[1] : http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain

-----Original Message----- From: Ross Gardler [mailto:rgar@opendirective.com] Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 4:59 AM To: gene@incubator.apache.org Subject: Licence headers in template files

A license header question...

In the Wookie podling we have a templating system for building widgets. Basically a user defined a few properties, adds a few snippets of HTML, CSS and Javascript and then runs an Ant script. This spits out fully packaged widgets.

In order to do this there are a number of file fragments (HTML, Javascript and CSS) which are copied into multiple places in the final widget, often multiple times in the same file. If these snippets have a licence header in them this results in multiple Apache licences in the output, spread throughout the file. We could do some pre-processing and strip out those headers, but we would rather not add this overhead.

There is no significant IP in these templates. they are mostly boilerplates that are intended to be replaced by the end user, but in some cases they will remain. You can see some of them at [1] (see the content_* files)

To save you looking here is an example of one of them...

Would it be acceptable for these files to *not* have licence headers in them?

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wookie/trunk/widgets/templates /browse/