Apache CouchDB is a distributed, fault-tolerant and schema-free
document-oriented database accessible via a RESTful HTTP/JSON API. Among other
features, it provides robust, incremental replication with bi-directional
conflict detection and resolution, and is queryable and indexable using a
CouchDB is written in Erlang, but can be easily accessed from any environment
that provides means to make HTTP requests. There are a multitude of third-party
client libraries that make this even easier for a variety of programming
languages and environments.
* Changed core licensing to the Apache Software License 2.0.
* Refactoring of the core view and storage engines.
* Added support for incremental map/reduce views.
* Changed database file format.
* Many improvements to Futon, the web administration interface.
* Miscellaneous improvements to system integration and portability.
* Swapped out Erlang's inets HTTP server for the Mochiweb HTTP server.
* SpiderMonkey is no longer included with CouchDB, but rather treated as an
* Added bits of awesome.
Apache CouchDB is alpha software and still under heavy development. Please be
aware that important areas such as the public API or internal database format
may see backwards incompatible changes between versions.
Apache CouchDB is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache Software
Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator PMC. Incubation is required
of all newly accepted projects until a further review indicates that the
infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have stabilized in a
manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation status is
not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it
does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.