atom feed25 messages in org.apache.incubator.generalRe: Licence headers in template files
FromSent OnAttachments
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 1:58 am
Christian GrobmeierFeb 6, 2012 2:07 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 2:44 am
Franklin, Matthew B.Feb 6, 2012 5:36 am
ant elderFeb 6, 2012 5:44 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 6:16 am
ant elderFeb 6, 2012 6:30 am
Jukka ZittingFeb 6, 2012 6:39 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 6:53 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 6:56 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 7:03 am
sebbFeb 6, 2012 7:20 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 7:28 am
sebbFeb 6, 2012 8:06 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 8:20 am
ant elderFeb 6, 2012 8:29 am
sebbFeb 6, 2012 8:40 am
Greg SteinFeb 6, 2012 9:25 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 10:18 am
Craig L RussellFeb 6, 2012 10:30 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 11:12 am
Greg SteinFeb 6, 2012 11:38 am
Ate DoumaFeb 6, 2012 11:41 am
Ross GardlerFeb 6, 2012 12:23 pm
sebbFeb 6, 2012 12:33 pm
Subject:Re: Licence headers in template files
From:Craig L Russell (crai@oracle.com)
Date:Feb 6, 2012 10:30:05 am
List:org.apache.incubator.general

I added comments to the JIRA:

Reading the examples provided gives me the idea that there is little creativity. Most of the content is required by the xml formatting rules. Look at the files after removing the xml: result collapsible ID TITLE detail.

That said, the rule is absolute. I'd prefer to have as policy a rule that changes:

"A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of the file's creativity, add the license header to the file."

to:

"A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file does not require a license header. Small files without significant creativity may omit the license if the license is more text than the source itself. If in doubt about the extent of the file's creativity, add the license header to the file."